Logitech announced yesterday that their Harmony universal remote control devices range can now be integrated with Nest Thermostats – specifically the Harmony ‘Ultimate’ remote control. Together with their previously announced Philips HUE light integration and Sonos audio integration, the Harmony remote can now control your lights, audio and now heating for when you using one of the activities such as watching a movie, listening to music etc.
Logitech state that you can:
- See and set the temperature without leaving your couch
- When paired with your Nest Thermostat, Harmony Ultimate lets you quickly and easily set your preferred temperature directly from the remote.
- Change Nest heating and cooling modes
- Easily access and select your preferred Nest operating mode—Heat, Cool, or Heat • Cool— on the remote’s full color touchscreen.
- Ultimate lets Nest know you’re home
- Pick up Harmony Ultimate when you return home and the remote’s motion sensor knows to tell Nest to switch off Auto-Away™ mode.
- Pairing Nest with Harmony Ultimate is a snap
- Use the MyHarmony desktop software to quickly add, pair and configure your Nest thermostat with your Harmony Ultimate remote. Get step-by-step instructions.
I’m not really sure how useful it would be to adjust the temperature when starting or changing an activity, it seems more like a convenience to be able to adjust the temperature rather than anything else, however just having the ability to talk to the Nest Thermostat should be applauded.
You can find out more about the Harmony ULTIMATE remote here.